Friday

Let Baby Cry?

     Our little David is four months old and he has taken to sudden outbursts of crying. No, not just crying, screaming actually. I may have mentioned this before but the nurse that works for the WIC program had told my daughter that you should not let a baby cry like that till after they're six months old. So her and my son freak out when little David starts these tantrums. They insist we do whatever it takes to get him to stop.

     Now while I'm not in favor of letting him scream at that level for long, I'm more in favor of laying him down if holding him and calmly stroking and talking to him doesn't work, and of course that's after I know he's been fed and needs no diaper change and has burped. It seems to me that he is very tired but is fighting sleep. I say that because when we give in and give him another bottle he stops on a dime. This happens sometimes only two hours after his last bottle. The doctor says we're feeding him too much, so another bottle should not be an option, but like I said anything to stop that crying. For awhile I was getting away with laying him on his side and calmly talking to him and stroking his forehead and cheek, that is no longer working.

     I try to explain that babies do sometimes cry and should be allowed to do so up to a point, however I'm not a nurse so I must be wrong. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?   Photo by Brandon Baunach


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, have you tried a pacifier?

Michele said...

I say you forget the doctors, nurses and WIC and buy The Baby Book by Dr William Sears. He's also got a website askdrsears.com
He's an amazing doctor and has so many helpful tips.

I say your baby is teething. Any excessive drool? Tiny Diaper rash? random out bursts of crying and nothing you do will help? Is he chewing on the bottle? Pulling at his ears? My daughter started teething around 3 months. Her doctor said no she wasn't but I've come to not believe doctors any more.
If you aren't sure if this is the problem, try buying Hylands Teething Tablets. They cost like 5 dollars and you can buy them all kinds of places...walmart is one. They disolve instantly in babies mouth and they are all natural. Try giving him two and see if this works. Hylands also has a teething gel to rub on the gums but I don't think it works as good as orajel. If my daughter is teething bad I give her the tablets and rub some orajel on her gums and that will help.

I hope this works!

http://crazymommy.today.com

Seasonsmom said...

I found your site thru entrecard. I am glad you requested to have your card on my blog. I checked your site out and am glad you are helping with your grandson. You have a lot of wisdom. I wish I had someone with wisdom when I was raising my first born. But, my mom was across an ocean. So, I had to learn how to handle infant training on my own. I really like No greater Joy ministry (I have a widget on my site to nogreaterjoy.org on the right hand side) as a child training tool. They are Christians so if you are not, please, look past their faith and learn from their child training teachings. Their wisdom in raising kids and teenagers has helped many families. May I suggest you check them out and get your daughter to read their book-To train up a child. You can read their first chapter on line. Also, all their bi-monthly magazines can be read free on their site (under articles) and/or gotten in the mail free of charge. It was life changing in training my other children. I wish I knew what I learned from the Pearls' wisdom. Be blessed, Natalie