Saturday

Can You Spoil A Baby?

My daughter can't bear to hear her baby cry which I can understand, so on those rare occasions when baby's needs have all been filled and he's still crying, she insists on his being held. I suggested to her that he will get spoiled that way and not be able to get himself to sleep or learn how to calm and entertain himself.

She informed me that one of the nurses at the hospital told her that it's impossible to spoil a baby during his first year and if you don't hold them they will feel alone. I went along with this theory up until two days ago when I did everything for him and he wouldn't settle down. I ended up holding him for a few hours. She had the same experience with him the night before and started to rethink this whole spoiling thing.

I told her that once in a while just to put him down and let him cry for a short while. You can still let him know he's not alone and let him see you and talk to him. So that's what we are doing now and it's working fine. It doesn't happen very often because he is such a good easy going baby, but at some point he'll have to get used to the fact that you can't always get what you want, but you can still get what you need.

1 comments:

Laura said...

I think your sister is right.

Comforting a small child who does not understand the world is a gift of love and patience. By holding them while they're upset, or going to bed, you will give them the message that you are there for them, in every event. Tolerance for their immaturity is tough, but it's a good thing and a good message.